Sunday, October 11, 2009

Bad Homburg and the castle


Bad Homburg is about 15 minute drive from Frankfurt. It purports to be the wealthiest city in Germany, due in part to the financiers of Frankfurt who reside here. Over the last couple of centuries it has been a favorite summer residence of royalty. There are apparently 8 mineral springs located in and around the area which have attracted the likes of King Edward, Dostoyevsky, German emperors and numerous others. The mineral springs are particularly acclaimed for their health generating waters. The arts are also given their due attention, with regular classical concerts and art exhibits.

The city's origins go back to the 12th century, having gained favor, in addition to its mineral springs, for a picturesque setting. It wasn't until the 19th century that Bad Homburg took on special significance however, with the construction of a royal palace and a beautiful garden which encompasses it.


After touring the grounds, the baroque style gates and the exterior of the complex with the keep dominating the central court, we decidedto take a guided tour (in German unfortunately) of the royal suites and were treated to a display of furnishings of the finest craftsmanship available at the time. I do not have pictures available as photos were not allowed. Trust me on this - it was impressive. I was particularly impressed with the inlaid wood carvings that made up much of the furnishings in the rooms. Rooms were generally spacious with ceilings of 12 feet or more. In addition, there were almost life size paintings of members of the royal family and important guests throughout the residence. Although one could hardly describe their accommodations as spartan, for all the amenities of their time were there, it still had much to be desired. I will stick with the 21st Century, thanks!



On a personal note, we are beginning to feel grounded in this beautiful country. We just purchased a GPS, a much needed accessory. The work is starting to feel manageable and my stress levels have subsided as a consequence. I have approximately 95 missionaries I am working with to varying degrees out of a pool of 4,000. The missionary work schedule, the demands of an additional language, a foreign culture, being away from home and living 24/7 with someone who may be quite different from them all, imposes stressful challenges to some. I do however, enjoy working with them very much. They appreciate the help I provide and seem to enjoy the personal attention directed their way. The working arrangements are excellent, the resources are first class and I work with a team of very competent individuals. Arendje is becoming familiar with the support she is able to provide and I value her time and willingness to work so closely with me even in my somewhat scattered state. We take our Saturdays to recoup and regroup. In summary, the work is very rewarding and the setting, in the heart of Germany, could not be more ideal.

1 comment:

  1. How terrific that you are able to get out and about and learn so much about the part of the country that you are in. What a great experience. I am enjoying the postings in your blog. I just came back from Kelowna where I was treated to three very delicious Thanksgiving dinners and great company. I was able to have a brief visit with Gary and Ali, as they were invited to join everyone at Dani's house. Of course I also was treated to time with Michelle and Daniel/Kim.
    Glad that things are settling for you both.
    Bye for now,
    Stynie

    ReplyDelete